I am as guilty as the next person of having a very unorganised wardrobe full of clothes that I hardly ever wear or are damaged or don’t even fit me anymore. So, after I had my new wardrobe from Hampshire Fitted Wardrobes company https://lamco-design.co.uk/fitted-wardrobes/ I took the opportunity to have a good clear out.
Here are the rules that I followed and now I have nice clean, organised wardrobe. You can have one to just follow the simple steps.
First it is important to truly clean your wardrobe and the best way to do this to empty it of everything. I placed everything on my bed and carefully took all the items of the hangers and piled them up ready for sorting through. It was amazing what I came across when I delved into the depths of the back and bottom of the wardrobe. Next, I sorted through the items and placed them into piles relating to their use. Putting all of my work clothes together, casual, going out clothes (boy I had a lot of those) underwear and my pyjamas. Then taking each group in turn I worked through the clothes and asked myself a set of questions before deciding whether to hang them up neatly in the wardrobe or add them to the pile for the charity shop or bin bag:
- Is it damaged in anyway – if yes and it is beyond repairing myself then it made it into the bin bag. If I thought I could repair it then I applied the next set of questions to that items of clothing to determine what to do with it.
- Does it still fit me? – if yes then move on to the next questions, if no then place it in the charity shop bag.
- Have I worn it in the last year – if yes continue, if no then consider whether I really need it and add to the charity shop bag
- Do I still like it? – If yes, continue, if no then give to charity
- Would I buy it again if I saw it in the shops? – If yes then hang back up in the wardrobe, if no add to the charity shop pile.
Once I had worked through all the clothes I then set about organising the wardrobe itself buy hanging together items that were used for the same purpose so all my work clothes together, going out clothes together and so on. It really has made for a nice neat wardrobe and it is easier for me to find what I want too!